Outdoor Enthusiasts, Nature Lovers and Community Leaders Across the Country Are Encouraged to Apply
*Do you enjoy hiking, birdwatching, camping, kayaking, skiing, gardening, barbecuing or other recreational outdoor activities?
*Do you have a passion for inspiring community in the outdoors?
*Are you interested in creating, sharing and implementing strategies to reconnect African Americans to nature?
*Would you like to join a nationally recognized network of African American outdoor professionals?
If these questions resonate with you, APPLY TODAY to join the 2015 Outdoor Afro Leadership Team.
About the Fellowship Program
Launched in 2011, the Outdoor Afro Leader Fellowship promotes a strong sense of community among leaders around the country through a shared vision of reconnecting African Americans with the nature.
Supported in partnership with REI, Keen Shoes, Sierra Club, Klean Kanteen, the Kapor Center for Social Impact and other supporters, the fellowship provides professional support, coaching, and outdoor skills development training to individuals interested in celebrating and increasing the presence of African Americans in the outdoors. Fellows help expand the national Outdoor Afro social and nature network by leading trips, sharing experiences via social media, and forging partnerships with relevant outdoor organizations and groups. Leaders exercise thoughtful engagement that, in 2014 alone, convened more than 2,000 African Americans in the outdoors.
Meet the Fellows
Outdoor Afro Leadership Fellows are team of motivated individuals from around the country deeply connected to the outdoors and committed to celebrating and increasing the presence of African Americans in nature.
In 2015, Outdoor Afro will emphasize recruitment of leaders to join our Chicago, Los Angeles, North Carolina, Washington, DC, Atlanta and Seattle based leadership teams. Motivated individuals from the New York, Mid-West, and Pacific Northwest regions are also strongly encouraged to apply.
What Our Members Say About Outdoor Afro Leadership Fellows
“Wonderful, chill group of people who enjoy nature! Who could ask for more? Viva is an amazing leader! She walked with everyone and keep us on point, but also let us do our own thing when we wanted! Great work, V! ”— Shirley M. Member, Outdoor Afro Chicago
“I’m thrilled Beky is willing to create such amazing experiences for complete strangers. ” -Lakisha, Member, Outdoor Afro North Carolina
“This group ROCKS! Clay is by far a walking encyclopedia of knowledge, passion and energy. Everyone had something to share, whether it be encouragement, humor or just good old fashioned kindness, and the vibe among those in attendance was positively genuine. I really felt welcome and it was such a blessing to be in the company of folks who love and participate in outdoor leisure activities.”— Karen B, Member, Outdoor Afro San Francisco Bay Area.
How to Apply
Here is what we require:
- Facilitate a minimum 1 OA sponsored event every month
- Participate in a monthly conference call with other OA Leaders
- Develop two new OALT ambassadors in your region
- Live within 50 miles of an REI store
Leader perks include:
- Select FREE premium gear and supplies from sponsors KEEN Shoes, REI, Klean Kanteen, and more!
- Professional support, coaching, and outdoor skills development training
- The ability to make a tangible and positive difference for your local community and the natural world
Apply now to join our diverse team from around the nation to bring the outdoors to more people in your community!
Next Steps to be Eligible for Consideration:
1. Complete the application— submit via email by Friday, January 31 and participate fully in the interview process via phone and video conference calls.
2. Be available for a mandatory in–person training from April 23-25, 2015 at National Conservation Training Center in Shepherdstown,West Virginia (transportation not included).
3. The 2015 Class of Outdoor Afro Leaders will be confirmed and announced in March 2015.
Outdoor Afro is strongly interested in leaders who can join our Chicago, Los Angeles, North Carolina, Washington, DC, Atlanta and Seattle based leadership teams. Motivated individuals from the New York, Mid-West, and Pacific Northwest regions are also strongly encouraged to apply.
For any questions, please contact us at [email protected]